North Korea threatens to cancel Trump summit

TIL Desk/World/Pyongyang/ North Korea on Wednesday said it may reconsider attending a summit with US President Donald Trump if Washington unilaterally insists upon Pyongyang giving up nuclear weapons, media said.

North Korean news agency quoted Vice Foreign Minister Kim Kye-gwan as saying that if the US “corners us and unilaterally demands we give up nuclear weapons we will no longer have an interest in talks and will have to reconsider whether we will accept the upcoming North Korea-US summit”.

Earlier in the day, in a sign of growing difficulties, the Kim Jong-un regime pulled out of talks scheduled with Seoul for Wednesday, mentioning the South Korea-US military drills. The highly anticipated meeting between Trump and Kim is due to take place on June 12. It came about after North Korea said it was committed to denuclearising the Korean Peninsula.

Delicate preparations were taking place for the Trump-Kim meeting, but this would throw it into doubt. Kim said North Korea “had high hopes that the summit would lead to the easing of the situation on the Korean Peninsula and count as a big step to build a great future.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *