Sports

Standing with shooters, but not thinking of 2022 CWG boycott: Sakshi

Standing with shooters, but not thinking of 2022 CWG boycott: Sakshi

TIL Desk Sports/ Ace wrestler Sakshi Malik said that she hopes shooting is included in the programme for the 2022 Commonwealth Games in Birmingham. She said that she was in complete support of the shooters and said that it would indeed be demotivating if they weren”t allowed to compete at the Games.

“We are a team and so if anyone is excluded it does make a difference to us,” said the 2016 Olympics bronze medallist on Tuesday. “In our contingent, the shooters bring a lot of medals and so it is very demotivating if they are not allowed to participate. So I am with them completely and I hope that shooting is included.”

Indian Olympic Association president Narinder Batra wrote to Sports Minister Kiren Rijiju earlier this week seeking a meeting so as to explain the proposed boycott of the 2022 Commonwealth Games. In June, it emerged that the Commonwealth Games Federation had decided to leave out shooting from its programme for Birmingham 2022. The move is a blow to the Indian contingent who had won a total of 16 medals in shooting in the previous Games held in Gold Coast, Australia.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *